Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Photographing Water Falls


There are two things I find to be the most relaxing, stress relieving sounds in the world. One is the sound of waves rolling up on the beach, and the other is a waterfall. Photographing waterfalls requires a little bit of effort and thought to really create a nice image. The look of the water can be dramatically changed by the shutter speed used. A fast shutter speed freezes the action or motion of the water and gives it that time stood still look. I prefer the long exposure shots that make the water smooth out and go to that cottony soft look. To me this implies motion even though you are looking at a still photograph.This requires a tripod and a long shutter exposure. Normally between 2-4 seconds will create this soft effect on the moving water. The great thing is you can find small waterfalls almost anywhere.



I was at a conference at the Opryland hotel in Nashville, TN. last year. The giant indoor atrium of the hotel is pretty amazing. It is like a giant botanical garden complete with a man made river and numerous waterfalls. By carefully framing and composing your shots, you can create some beautiful images. These two waterfall shots on the left are from inside the hotel atruium.
 This waterfall on the right is Laural Falls in Smokey Mountain National Park. It is about a 1.5 mile hike up to capture this  photo. I was there in the fall, and it had been very dry.The water volume of all the falls was low compared to their normal flows. But even a small trickle of water can be transformed into a beautiful scene with a long exposure capture. 

I just seem to have bad luck when I stop to photograph a natural waterfall. It is always a dry spell and the water volume of the falls is much lower than normal. This photo on the left is Rainbow Falls, located in Hilo HI. It is an 80 foot high fall that at full volume can be as much as 100 feet across. Now Hilo is one of the wettest places in the United States. But, the short time I was there, it had been extremely dry. So I still managed a nice watefall shot, but It would have been much more dramatic to have about five times as much water flowing over that lava shelf. So I guess I will just have to go back and try again! 
Just have your camera on a sturdy tripod and use a cable release. A low ISO setting and stop down to between f11 to f22 will usually give you a 2-4 second exposure even in fairly bright daylight. If you need a longer exposure, add a polarizer filter to your lens and it will darken the scene and force your camera to use an even longer exposure.

Scott

3 comments:

  1. One of the flight nurses I worked with hobby was photographing waterfalls. I remember circling one we spotted from the air on the trip home just long enough to lock in GPS coords so he could plan an excursion to capture it. Your post today brought back memories.
    I'm continually impressed with the quality of your content; both photos and info. It takes some tenacity to become a successful blogger. It seems you are doing a good job. I find myself looking forward to seeing what you will come up with next. I usually find myself pleasantly surprised. Thanks for taking the time to share.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the comments and support. It is a lot of work and time, but it is a labor of love. Just hope I don't run out of things to say, or decent photos to show. I started a Facebook page to try and get more people to link over to the blog.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I wish you the best of luck with all your efforts. A labor of love and a passion for it is a big, big part I'm convinced, and a necessary ingredient. I decided to help a friend the other day with a problem she had with her blog. I needed to experiment on a blog and and didn't want to mess with my proximityCastBlog so I created another one: SurvivalDogs. My 1st survivalDog post documents how I helped her. I've been having fun... all because of making up my mind that I'd help her.
    She is kinda persistent and points out things that lazy ole me finally decides to take a look at. One of them is feedburner where people can subscribe to an email update of your blog. It requires a Google account which you probably have for this blog and has one tricky little part in setting it up. I put them on both of my blogs. If you are interested and run into any snags setting it up, let me know and I'll make a post that will make it clearer on SurvivalDogs.

    I've been playing with creating buttons too. You can see the post about them on both of my blogs. They are a means for people to help advertise your stuff on their stuff. I made a button for your blog that I have on My original homepage that helps me keep up with the ones I want to read real easy. If you're interested in seeing how to create those, I can make a post too. Anything else your interested in, just pose the question to me and I'll research it and if I'm up to handling it I'll try to make an instructive post. I modified your blog template on my proximitycast blog with a different background image. I don't know if you're interested in any of this, but I'm sincere about you having a quality blog. I'm hoping you can keep the information flowing too. And I'm hoping it will get wings...
    Exactly how you do that though is a mystery to me except provide good content and hopefully one day the world will notice...lol. Well, better get some sleep. All the best my friend.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete